Friday, May 1, 2009

God: The Ultimate Genie (title to be read in announcer voice)

At church Wednesday night, David (the youth pastor) mentioned that he watched Aladdin with his wife over the weekend. He talked about how if Aladdin had rubbed the genie's lamp and turned down the three wishes, 1) the movie wouldn't have been as good, and 2) we would be screaming at the TV, "ask for a million dollars, ask for a new car, ask for something!!" He made the point God can do greater things than the genie. BUT He has to be called upon. Every time God did something great it was because He was called upon. Okay, time for my own thoughts. First of all, I thought about how genies have limits. They say, "you get three wishes and here are the rules." God gives an infinite amount of "wishes", and there are no rules. Yes, He can choose to not grant every one, but still, it's a cool concept. Imagine what this world would be like if we called upon God. Imagine the changes that could be made.

4 comments:

  1. I like your post, but I think there is a big difference between granting wishes and giving hope. I believe God gives us hope, He doesn't just grant wishes. We can call upon Him to help us in our hour of need and He provides hope for the future-no matter what. His hope is eternal. Wishes are fleeting materialistic cravings that we think will make us happy here on earth. Hope is a promise of life after life on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying, but you will notice that I put wishes in quotations. I know that what God gives us is more than wishes, my point was that we need to call upon Him, and that without calling upon Him, we are wasting the most incredible resource in and out of this world. Wishes aren't always self-centered or self-serving either. I can wish that world hunger would end, or wish that peace would flood the earth, or I could even that every person on earth would receive Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Sheridan. Sometimes I get so focused on a problem and trying to figure it out in my head, I forget to ask for help. He is always there, always ready, just waiting for us to call out to Him. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just about our personal problems though. It's bigger than that. He's bigger than that. I mean yeah, it's great to have help on personal problems, but there's more to life than yourself. I mean God can move mountains and split seas, and he didn't do that for just one person.

    ReplyDelete